Via works with students, in partnership with their school districts and the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, to create a personalized employment plan and explore careers of interest, preparing them for the next step after high school – community, integrated employment.
Students explore careers of interest with expert, one-on-one guidance from Via staff. Our experienced team develops sites within local business, industry, and non-profit settings, offering students Paid Work Experiences or Job Shadowing. Students gain valuable work skills and develop insights about adulthood throughout this process.
To be eligible for this service, students must be between 14 to 21 years old and must be enrolled in high school in Lehigh or Northampton counties.
We encourage students and families to familiarize themselves with employment services early in high school, and we recommend they begin their application to the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation at least a year to two years prior to graduation.
Through School-to-Work Transition Services, Via strives to meet the individual needs of each student, meet the student where they are now, and evolve with the student as interests, goals, and needs change as a result of this exploration.
Via provides students and families with:
- Career planning and exploration that includes:
- Paid Work Experiences and Job Shadowing at sites that meet students’ interests and goals.
- Resume building, interview preparation, and portfolio development.
- Experienced staff who provide:
- Individualized, one-on-one attention.
- Assistance in applying for benefits through the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR).
- Help for understanding and accessing funding sources for other services like housing, benefits counseling, community supports, etc.
- Continued support after graduation.
- Collaborative Resource and Team Development that:
- Works together with high school transition teams and becomes part of the Individual Education Plan (IEP) Team.
- Help families cultivate support networks in the community.