Dieruff High School Girl’s Basketball
The first PIAA State championship for girls’ basketball was held in 1973. Prior to that, the District Championships was the highest title a team could win. The Dieruff Girls team was the first public school team to win the state title. Allentown Central Catholic and Lancaster Catholic won in 1973 and 1974.
In the first three years of the PIAA Championships, there were no divisions for girls basketball teams. There was one champion, not one in each class (AAA, AA, etc.). Dieruff was that one champion in 1975.
Dieruff never did win a league title and in 1975 went into the District XI playoffs with a 16-4 record. Dieruff outscored their opponents in district playoff games 233 to 132 points. Wins over East Stroudsburg (59-35), William Allen (59-36), Slatington (63-23) and St. Francis Academy (52-38) gave Dieruff the opportunity to advance to inter-district play where Dieruff defeated Plymouth-Whitemarsh 51 to 38.
The last three teams Dieruff would face on their road to the Championship, collectively had a 75-1 record. Carbondale was 27-0 (won 54-44), Central Dauphin was 22-0 (won the Eastern Final 45-38) and Western Champion Elizabeth-Forward was 26-1 with ah 6’6” center (won the State Title 60-33)
Dieruff ended the season with an 8-0 run to finish with a 24-4 record. Many of the girls would return in 1976 to repeat as the first girls back-to-back state champions.
- 24 wins, 4 loses
- District XI Champions – defeated St. Francis Academy 52 to 38
- Eastern Final Champions – defeated 22-0 Central Dauphin 45 to 38
- PIAA State Champions – defeated Elizabeth Forward 60 to 33
- Head Coach: Linda Cruttenden
- Karen Brunner, Diane Casciano, Karen Chies, Judy Jacob, Debbie O-Brien, Jan Pagano, Marianne Pagano (co-captain), Kathy Panik, Crystal Perry, Theresa Redmond, Patti Sikorski, Joette Smolick, Karen Trexler, Mary Trexler (co-captain), Michelle Wilvert