Creative Expressions Adult Training Services at The John E. Walson Center
Creative Expressions Adult Training Services supports the growth of people with disabilities through artistic self-expression, and empowers them to participate in a wide variety of community activities.
Individuals divide their time between the local community and the John E. Walson Center at Via’s facility in Bethlehem.
This service focuses on:
- Artistic Expression – Creative Expressions participants with an interest in creating art are able to express themselves through drawing, painting, weaving, and other artistic activities. Via staff assist individuals in pricing and marketing their art work, which is for sale at Via and at various exhibits in the local community. Music and other art forms are also explored.
- Daily Living Activities – Via helps individuals achieve independence and improve self-awareness. Areas addressed include: mobility, personal hygiene, self-care skills, and community living skills.
- Volunteerism – Volunteerism promotes community participation and can expand an individual’s networks and interests. Participants in Creative Expressions volunteer at a variety of local nonprofit organizations, including Meals on Wheels, libraries, conservation programs and nursing homes.
- Community Exploration – Individuals in Creative Expressions take part in a variety of social and recreational activities, learning social interaction skills, safety, public transportation, money management and how to access activities and events in the community.
- Cooking & Nutrition – Focusing on healthy eating, health and nutrition, Via staff teach participants about food groups, menu planning, grocery shopping, meal preparation and safe food handling skills. Participants grow fresh herbs and vegetables on site to be used in healthy cooking activities.
- Physical Activity and Wellness – Light physical exercise and healthy living are encouraged, and staff engage participants in wellness daily living training, stressing things like personal hygiene and the importance of dressing appropriately for the season or activity.
- Communication and Social Skills – Staff work with participants to improve cognitive/affective communication, learn sign language, use augmentative communication techniques, and improve speaking skills. They also address social skills, exploring appropriate interactions through role playing, instruction, and real-life experience.
Who is Eligible?
Creative Expressions is for adults, 18 years of age or older, with developmental needs who require assistance to meet personal needs and perform basic daily activities.
For example, an adult:
- Who has a physical disability, such as blindness, deafness, or visual, hearing, speech, language or motor skills impairment.
- With mental illness.
- With a neurological disability, such as cerebral palsy, autism or epilepsy.
- With intellectual delays.
- With a traumatic brain injury.
Creative Expressions is an Adult Training Service licensed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s Department of Public Welfare. Facilities maintain compliance with Title 55 PA Code, Chapter 2380 Regulations for Adult Training Services.
For more information, contact:
Kim Tracy, Admissions Manager
K.Tracy@ViaNet.org | 610-317-8000 x475